Wincharger Forum
February 17, 2019, 04:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Great Wincharger History Article "Riches From The Wind", 1938 Popular Science Monthly

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Valley Forge  (Read 47 times)
Johnnyjones

« on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »

New guy here saying hello, I have always been a fan of early "western" water pump wind mills and just recently discovered winchargers! Very very cool. I love American history between 1900-1950. Anyone in the Philadelphia Valley Forge area? Where winchargers used in this area or mainly Midwest? Thanks everyone.
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »

Welcome to the hobby and forum.  The early (pre-REA) wind chargers were shipped to about every state and around the globe but the majority were probably sold to farmers in the Midwest.  Many went to Canada and there seems to be quite a few in South America and South Africa.  There were more than 30 U.S manufacturers of wind chargers prior to WWII.  Winchargers were and are still the most common and Iowa was the hotbed of wind charger manufacturing, 10 companies were in Iowa.  Many of those companies were small with very low production numbers so if you like the hunt, this is great hobby.  Those machines that have survived the decades of scrap drives and exposure to the elements have been redistributed around the country or possibly still hiding in a barn somewhere.  Its rare to find them still on their original tower but they're out there.   
I'm sure there are forum members in your area.  There are pics posted on the website under "photos" from folks not to far from you.  What model or models do you have? 
Johnnyjones

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »

So havenít invested in any projects yet but I did buy a recommend reading book on winchargers. I would like to eventually set up a functional wincharger. Has anyone restored an antiques with some more modern internal parts (if possible) ? Iím sure Iíll have more questions after reading. Thanks everyone !
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »

I've seen a few resto-mod vintage wind chargers.  Not much to upgrade internally on a DC generator other than maybe better electrical insulation unless you want to operate at a different voltage.  Some rewind the 32V machines for 48V to be more compatible with solar systems.  In later years, Wincharger used 3 phase generators on the larger machines with a rectifier mounted on the top of the generator.  I've seen modern props on wind chargers but you're not going to eek out much more efficiency and I doubt something plastic will outlast a maintained wood prop.   Main improvement could be had in using modern controller, a power diode vs. cut out relay. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: