Wincharger Forum
December 15, 2017, 09:21:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Wincharger Website "Wincharger.com"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Chronictinkerer making a 6' Wincharger propeller  (Read 215 times)
Chronictinkerer

« on: October 30, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »

Rube goldburg fixture for cutting the concave portion of the propeller. A 7" saw blade attached to a 4" grinder attached to a right angled bracket. Set the saw blade to the height of the profile of your cut. You will SLOWLY slide the board under the blade. Make sure the fixture is solid.  It took two setups for my particular curve.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:42:01 AM by Mike » Logged
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »

The back view of the fixture. This is the rough cut. Sanding comes next
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »

I used an automobile airfile for fine sanding. I replaced the base of the airfile with a board.   I sanded a length of closed cell foam to the profile I needed and attached it to the board with 3M #77 spray glue.  I next glued #36 grit sand paper to the profiled closed cell foam. Believe it or not #36 grit leaves a smooth finish.
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

The airfile moves only in one axis so lock it in a channel and move it back and forth. This leaves the exact profile you set in the closed cell foam.  This procedure finishes the shape for one side of the propeller.
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »

I used an electric planer to rough cut the convex portion of the propeller. Take very thin cuts and take your time.
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »

I used an air vibrating sander to finish the profile. I again used #36 grit sand paper. An air sander is 10 times faster than an electric one.
I still need to balance and shape the ends. I will finish the propeller with Man O' War Marine varnish. I spent three days on this project to get this far. It was fun and rewarding!!
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »

Your prop looks great!  Now that you have all the fixturing built, are you going to make more?  Looks like you could knock them out pretty quick.   What type wood did you use? 
Chronictinkerer

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »

I'm like you, I only want to make one. I cherry picked a tight grained piece of Douglas Fir.  The balance on a razor blade at this point is dead on. I will see what changes when I varnish it.  So far so good!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: