Wincharger Forum
August 19, 2017, 10:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Great Wincharger History Article "Riches From The Wind", 1938 Popular Science Monthly

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wincharger Model 617  (Read 574 times)
Doogal79

« on: February 22, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »

We are looking to sell our antique wincharger model#617.  This unit belonged to my husbands grandfather and has been in storage for 30+ years.  We have what we believe to be the original blade as well as the governor.  No batteries though.  We don't know much about these so we are open to offers, all we ask is that you be fair about it.  It is located in southern Saskatchewan, Canada.   If you aren't interested in purchasing but you do have some information as to what this unit is worth we would greatly appreciate the help.
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »

I'm too far away from you to be a buyer but I will be glad to offer my opinion on value.  In short, vintage wind generators are tough to put exact values on; thereís not a huge market from which to base value and factors like rarity, completeness and condition can have a huge effect on the end number. A relatively common model, like a 617, that is complete and in good, original condition can sell in the $300-$600 range.  For that model with those qualifiers, I think thatís a fair price range for both seller and buyer.  ďGoodĒ meaning the tail graphics are at least legible, the generator is not stuck and the prop is there but not necessarily spin worthy.  ďOriginalĒ condition meaning it has never been restored and has the majority of its original parts.   One should not expect to be able to operate an original condition, 80 year old wind generator without rebuilding the generator and replacing the propeller with a new one or a least one that has structural integrity.  If the propeller has any cracks then itís a display piece.  A 6V propeller can exceed 500 rpm and can cause considerable damage if they come apart at speed.

I advise people to sell locally if possible.  Shipping is a pain and expensive.  Even if you disassemble and package a complete 6V Wincharger with tower yourself, it can still cost $150 to $200 to ship via Fed-Ex ground within the lower 48.

I know these are some pretty generic guidelines but it should get you in the ballpark on putting a value on it.  In the end, what I think itís worth is irrelevant, itís worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  I think you should keep it in the family but if the decisions been made then I wish you good luck in selling.

p.s. to anyone reading this forum post from the future, keep in mind the value range given here is based on 2017 prices.  Iím certain, vintage wind generator values will have tripled 10 years after this posting was written.   Cheesy
Doogal79

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »

Thank you very much Mike for your input. I was looking at the Wincharger again the other night and noticed some interesting things. The tail section is not original that I do know. However I can almost guarantee that this unit has next to no time on it. Behind the gauges is the original tag from factory still. There is also a sticker on the inside tail of the stand as well.  This tells me that the windcharger hasn't seen any weather.  The generator turns over so easy with one finger.  i didn't even see any cracks in the insulation on the wires.
saskpower

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »

what part of southern sask are you in
Doogal79

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »

We are located in Kipling, Sask
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: