Wincharger Forum
May 27, 2019, 12:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW!  FREE 6V Wincharger Part Diagrams

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Wind Charger Idenfication Quiz  (Read 2973 times)
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« on: February 17, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »

Can you identify this early wind charger?  It's a right angle drive, generator is below the tower cap.  I'll post the answer in a few weeks if no one gets it.

CoreyB

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »

This wouldn't be the very, very early Jacobs from their "inception days" in Montana would it?  Don't know of too many other right-angle drive units....and that oddly enough looks like it could be some rear-end parts from an early automobile.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:33:08 AM by CoreyB » Logged
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:04:01 AM »

An early Jacobs would have been my guess had I not been told up front what it was.  Amazingly, this machine predates Jacobs.  Its a Miller Air-Lite.  Basil Miller formed the Miller Motor Co in 1925 to manufacture wind electric plants.  Miller was one of the first companies to use a propeller on a wind generator.  The company was sold in '32 and the subsequent company developed a new machine they called the "New Miller Air-Lite."  It was a 3 prop, direct drive, down-wind machine.  The company called itself the Wind Power Light Co, later to become Winpower.....and now you know the rest of the story. 
The Miller Air-Lite image below is courtesy John Killam.  It's interesting that the Miller Air-Lite tail shape is almost identical to the early Air Electric tail vane.  Air Electric and Miller Motor Co were both located in Newton, IA at some point in their histories so maybe there was a connection. 
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »

On my last comment on the tail vane similarities.....I now think both Air Electric and Miller Motor Co didn't see the need to reinvent the tail vane or possibly the windmill tower.  In the late 20's, the Baker Manufacturing Co. was marketing towers and other parts for all kinds of purposes.  The windmills that Baker was producing at the time were the Baker Monitor Steel and the Monitor Self-Oiling.  See the similarities below. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:15:32 PM by Mike » Logged
CoreyB

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »

Really, really cool!  With the tail vane being so similar to many water pumpers and the "head" of the unit being the shape it is, it would be pretty easy to mistake one of these as being a water pumper from a distance if it didn't have the blades mounted.  I'll be keeping a sharper eye out now.  Thanks for sharing the pics!

I came across a Miller advertisement years ago for their downwind 3 bladed machine and it looked remarkably similar to the WinPower that I have.  My WinPower does not have the "power ring" shroud and this ad didn't have one either.  The unit I have also seems much beefier in the governor construction (and a couple other places) compared to other later WinPowers I've seen pics of.

Corey
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »

I'm not sure I'd be able to distinguish the "New Miller Air-Lite from the Wind-Power or early Winpower models.  It would be nice to see them side-by-side to see how the design evolved.  Below are a couple of poor quality ads I have for Wind Power and an early Winpower. 
CoreyB

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:54:28 AM »

It took a bit of digging, but this is the Air Lite ad that I came across years ago online and was referring to previously.  Very similar to the earlier version of the WinPower ads.  Decades later and I'm still intrigued on what exactly it is that my late uncle passed on to me...is it a WinPower, Miller, Air Lite, or Miller Airlite?...
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

From the above ads, it appears the earlier Air-Lite and Wind-Power props were a little wider and rounded on the ends than the later Winpower props.  Your props look like the later version, squared off at the end.  Below is a pic of a set of the early props.  These were in one of the bone yard buildings at AWPC.  At the time, I remember thinking they looked odd.  Thanks for sharing the Air-Lite ad and the pic of your nice Winpower relic. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: