Wincharger Forum
February 23, 2019, 12:50:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Great Wincharger History Article "Riches From The Wind", 1938 Popular Science Monthly

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The last of Charleypete1957's story  (Read 3678 times)
Charleypete1957

« on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

The first of these pics is the armature.  Notice the slight delamination occuring at the ends of the poles, and the overall "sway" of the laminations.  They are not straight lines anymore.  How much will this affect things, and can this thing be disassembled by a motor shop and the laminations straightened up?  The second pic is the field coil or main body of the generator with the coils intact.  The picture shows the whole assembly standing on its nose on the floor.  Overall from floor to end of field housing is 32 inches.  You can see the eye bolt and the cable for the brake band looped through the eye bolt. The last pic is a little further down the "nose" of the assembly, showing two of the blade mounts where the whole thing rests on the floor. At the top of this pic you can see the brake band. I don't have any of the shrouds that I've seen in other people's pics of similar machines.  Apparently there is a front shroud, which would cover the bearing housing shown in earlier pics, and then there's a "power ring", really just a shroud that covers everything from the main body back to the blades.  As I understand it, it directed the wind to more efficient parts of the blades, gaining some efficiency. 

Anyone feel free to step in and tell me where I'm wrong about any of this.  I only discovered this site a couple of days ago, and I've seen some machines similar to this one in some of the pics I've found here.  As I said before, I've learned more about this machine in a day or two than I've ever known.  I'd like to know what its wattage and voltage is.  Does anybody have a complete schematic for one of these machines?  What components are there besides the generator and voltage regulator?

Almost forgot to mention, I have the swivel assembly this machine mounts to.  Somebody somewhere in these forums called it a yaw-something-or-other.  It's a stub shaft about two feet long, with the swivel assembly at the top.  I've replaced the original stamped slip rings with solid brass rings, and I've replaced the upper and lower bearings in this unit, and the wiring.  i just forgot to take pics of it.  If anyone wants to see pics, just let me know.  When I finally did think of taking pics of it, I couldn't stand the thought of having to resize a bunch more pics at about a minute and a half per pic.  My phone took pics with file size of about 2MB each.  Picresize.com resizes them for free, but it's time-consuming. 

Anyway, that's what I've got.  I'm 60 years old now, and I need to get this project off the ground, literally.  I've had this thing longer than I thought.  Last night I discovered I've had it since about the mid-80s.  I took it to work, disassembled and sandblasted most of it and sprayed it with red oxide primer.  I've not done much more to it in all these years.  I've got a tower in the back yard I can put it on.  Tower came with the house.  It's a homemade pipe tower used for pulling the well, very sturdy, made of 2 3/8" upset tubing.

A rancher friend of mine gave me this thing.  It was in the ranch dump pile.  It had been lying there for no telling how many years, exposed to the elements, sometimes in running water when it rained big.  The blades had been kept in the rafters of the barn, so they're in much better shape than the armature.  That's the only part that really concerns me, the armature.  I'm all eyes and ears to anyone who can give me any more information on this thing, especially a prognosis on the armature.  Thanks again for a great website!  I'll keep you posted on any progress I make, along with pics as I go along. 
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »

Your pics look great....Based on the prop length and the hole pattern I believe you have a 1800w.  The commutator bar size makes me think it's a 32v.   I'm on the road for a few days and don't have access to my literature and parts to say for certain.  The armature slots are typically skewed to reduce brush arcing and smooth the output.  I'll try to get more info to you in a few days.  I believe I have a diagram with part numbers on it.
Charleypete1957

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »

Wow, who would've thought the armature laminations would be purposefully swayed like that?  Yes, I narrowed it down to a 1800w unit or an AC unit, and I don't think it's an AC unit. Now I'll begin looking for the shrouds I'm missing. I'll try to dig the thing out from behind all that stuff in the barn and get some better pics and get them posted. Also, I'm in Austin several times a year visiting family. Manor is just a few minutes down the road. I'll let you know when I'm gonna be around next time, maybe we can get coffee or something.
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »

They were all DC generators and my literature says that the 120V DC units were only available in the 1250 and 3500W sizes.  I attached a parts diagram of a 1500W but the 1800W part numbers are the same.  This should help you identify what you are missing.  I don't have extra 1800W parts but I know they're out there.  You might try posting an ad for the parts you need under classified. 

Please do give me a shout if you are in the Austin area.  My contact info can be found on the resources/part supplier webpage under Wind Charger Mike......
http://wincharger.com/index.php/resources/parts-suppliers

Charleypete1957

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »

Mike I've got this big honking electromechanical voltage regular that came with this machine. However the diagram you so graciously posted doesn't show such an animal in the circuit. I also found a photo of the front and back of that same panel, and judging from the wiring on the back panel the voltage regulator is not somehow hidden in it. It appears there's no voltage regulator, at least not like mine, anywhere in the circuit. Perhaps the rancher who gave it to me just thought it went with this machine. Any thoughts?  I'll most definitely give you a holler next time I'm coming to Austin.
Mike
Administrator

Mike Texas USA

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:27:56 PM »

No telling what the rancher gave you.....I posted a picture of an early Winpower controller.  This one has a cast iron frame and a fiber board cover.  Relay is a Cutler Hammer.  If your plan is to generate power, then you might be better off building your own controller or buy a modern one that can be tuned to regulate the field and maximize your energy conversion efficiency.  Michael Hackleman's book, "The Homebuilt Wind-Generated Electricity Handbook" is a great resource for building your own controller.  You can usually find those for reasonable $ on ebay. 

Charleypete1957

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »

I dug the main part of this thing out from behind the stuff it was buried under and took a few more pics.  The first one is a view of the blade mounting ears.  The second is a backside shot of the same thing, showing the blade pivot pins and the screws which adjust the pitch of the blades individually.  Also the spring which allows feathering in high winds can be seen.
Charleypete1957

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »

The first of these two pics is just a better overall view of the main generator body and the blade hub assembly.  I think this thing will weigh close to 300 pounds when fully assembled.  It is just massive.  The second pic is just a shot up inside the main generator body showing the field coils and the brake band and its associated parts. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: