Welcome to Wincharger.com (since Dec. 2000)
- This website provides a virtual meeting place for those interested in the history and preservation of the wind powered battery generators (aka "wind chargers"). Specifically, but not limited to the brand name "Wincharger," originally manufactured in Sioux City, Iowa.
A Few Wincharger Facts.......
- During the 1930's and 40's, hundreds of thousands of wind generators were in use in rural America
- 20+ companies manufactured wind generators during the era
- John and Gerhard Albers developed a 6V wind charger in 1927 under the name Alber's Propeller Co. In 1934, they formed the Wincharger Corporation.
- produced nearly 75% of the estimated 1 million wind generators made before 1950
- holds record for production volume and longest continuously produced wind generator, 1927-1982 (55 years)
- made more than 20 models including 2, 6, 12, 24, 32 and 110V, 100W to 1800W
- used wooden propeller blades made from Douglas Fir. Aluminum was used later on the four blade models
- manufactured its own towers, batteries and some appliances
We hope you enjoy the website. Please check out the wincharger.com forum. Thank you for visiting.
© 2015, Wincharger.com, all rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.